Saturday, May 2, 2015

DIY-ing


I like making stuff, usually food, but also other useful things to save money. I'm not a strict all-natural kind of person (I'd say I'm mild to moderate) but there are a few products I decided to try and make myself. (I will include recipe/instructions at the end) The first was deodorant. I gave up on antiperspirants a while ago because of the added chemicals and such, but it was hard to find something economical that also worked well. Thanks to Pinterest, I found a DIY recipe that I've been using for a few weeks and I give it two thumbs up. The second project was face moisturizer. This was mostly to incorporate some essential oils I've procured that have skin benefits. I made it about a week ago and am still trying to decide if I like it. It works, and I haven't broken out in a rash or anything, but I've yet to conclude if I've noticed much of a difference. Lastly, for now, was nonstick spray. I've bought the cheap stuf for years and have always loathed the sticky residue it leaves behind. Sure, I could have gotten the name brand stuff like Pam, but my need for thriftiness sometimes comes on too strong. So far, the homemade stuff is working great and I've yet to see any residue. All in all, I think I've been successful. If you're an all natural nut or just curious, give them a try!


Deodorant (found on greatist.com)

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon essential oils of your choice

Put coconut oil in microwave safe bowl and heat until melted. Mix in essential oils (I used lavender, tea tree, and grapefruit) and then add baking soda and cornstarch. Mix well, getting out lumps. Put in fridge or leave somewhere cool until set. It's possible to put this in an empty deodorant container while still liquid but I didn't have one. I left it in the bowl and apply with my fingers, using a plastic baggy to keep my fingers clean. Smells great, lasts fairly long. If I go out in the evening, I usually reapply.


Face moisturizer (from mycrazyblessedlife.com)

2/3 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
Essential oils (about 5 drops per oil)

Place coconut oil in medium bowl and whip with electric mixer for about 20-30 seconds, or until smooth. Add vitamin E and essential oils (I used tea tree, lavender, and frankensense) and mix again until creamy and blended. Scoop into small container, cover with a lid. Keep at room temperature. Now, this leaves my skin feeling rather oily, though not necessarily in a bad way, so I generally only use it at night. I suppose if I massaged it into to my skin for a while, it would absorb more, but I'm not that patient.


Nonstick Spray (found on Pinterest, can't remember the actual site)

Easy peasy
You need a cooking oil of your choice (I used canola) and water. 4 parts water to one part oil. Put in a clean spray bottle that has a "mist" option. Shake well before using. If you spray a hot surface, it may splatter a bit because of the water, but still works great.





No comments:

Post a Comment