Saturday, June 6, 2015

DIY-ing: Round Two


I'm slowly turning into a health nut. I never thought I would, but it's happening, people. If you missed my previous post about homemade products, you can see it here. This time around, I made toothpaste and body soap. I've been using the toothpaste for a couple of weeks and the the body soap was made yesterday and has not yet been tested. I still love the deodorant I made and the face moisturizer is good too. The nonstick spray is holding up as well. My husband and I have also been using a homemade mouthwash, but he has the recipe for that. I can add that to the next post about this subject, because I'm probably not done. Here are the basic recipes for the toothpaste and body soap.

Toothpaste (from thehomesteadsurvival.com)

4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon coral calcium (I didn't use this)
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (I ground this up a bit with a mortar and pestle)
1 tablespoon raw honey
2 drops cinnamon essential oil
5 drops peppermint essential oil (I used different oils)

I actually halved the recipe to test it out first. Melt the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Add rest of ingredients, mix well. Set aside to cool. I used about 3-4 drops of spearmint essential oil, 2-3 drops of myrrh e.o., and 2-3 drops of frankenscense e.o. I put the cooled product in a plastic cup and apply it to my toothbrush with a toothpick. High tech, I know. The taste is not unpleasant. I mostly taste the salt, which is there as a polisher. The honey helps, because the essential oils would be nasty otherwise.


Body Soap (Derived from various recipes). *****newer version here*******

8 cups of water
1 bar of Castile soap. (I bought a 3 pack on Amazon for about $5)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2-3 tablespoons vegetable glycerin (also Amazon)
1 tablespoon jojoba oil
1 teaspoon liquid vitamin E
5-10 drops of the following essential oils: lavender and tea tree
1/2 teaspoon green tea extract

Pour 1 cup water into medium saucepan, heat until simmering. Grate the bar soap and add to water. Turn down heat and let the soap melt. Add coconut milk. When soap is melted, add glycerin and remaining ingredients. In a large container, pour the remaining amount of water and add heated mixture. Cover with lid and shake well. Remove lid and allow to cool for at least 12 hours. It's supposed to thicken a bit. Like I mentioned above, I haven't tested this yet. I might still be runny, so I may need to tweak a few things. I'll give results at another time.

*****newer version here*****












No comments:

Post a Comment