Thursday, September 5, 2013

Book Clubbing


Some ladies in my neighborhood decided to start a book club. I've never participated in one before, so I decided to give it a try. It will give me an opportunity to read things I might never choose for myself and also get to know more people who live around me. I'm kind of a hermit, content to remain in my own house, in my own safe little bubble. It should be interesting.

We had our first meeting yesterday to pass out our first book. We'll be reading Women Write: A Mosaic of Women's Voices in Fiction, Poetry, Memoir, and Essay. Edited by Susan Cahill. I would never in a million years choose this. I'm not a fan of poetry and can't say I'm overly fond of essays. But this book has contributions from some of the greatest female writers in history (Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf, Toni Morrison, Emily Dickinson to name a few). So I suppose it's the perfect opportunity for me to get a taste of a nice variety of style and content without having to get a handful of individual books. I plan to write a review of sorts after I read each book we get.

Speaking of book clubs, my sister-in-law is in a book club in her neighborhood and she asked her group if they'd like to read my book The Bride. They agreed, which I thought was awesome. She then asked me if I'd like to make an appearance at the gathering when they discuss it. At first I was kind of reluctant. I don't like being the center of attention, and its one thing to read someone's review online and another to hear it first hand. But she also said there would be treats. Who can pass up free treats? I've decided to go. I figure if I want to do book signings and interviews someday I need to get used to the idea of talking to people about my books. The meeting is next Thursday. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Saturday is the last day to enter the giveaway for The Bride! You can find the link in my previous post.



No comments:

Post a Comment