Thursday, March 6, 2014

Granola


Around Christmas time I made granola to give to our neighbors. It was my first time making it and it turned out okay. Since then, I've continued to make it, adjusting the ingredients and amounts until I believe I've found a pretty delicious combo. I'm going to share my recipe. Just a heads up, it won't include exact measurements because I rarely measure when I'm making stuff up. Ready?

Kacie's Delicious Granola

4-5 cups of Old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
4-5 cups Crisp rice cereal
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2-3/4 cup nut of choice. I like slivered almonds
1 Tablespoon black chia seeds
2 Tablespoon wheat germ
1-2 cups dried fruit. I like cranberries and apricots.

1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup oil. I use coconut oil.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In small saucepan, combine corn syrup, maple syrup, peanut butter and oil. Heat on low until melty, stirring occasionally. Set aside. In large bowl, dump oats, rice cereal, coconut, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, wheat germ, and nuts. (The fruit will be added later) Mix together. Carefully drizzle syrup mixture over the granola, stirring as you go. Continue mixing until all the dry ingredients are coated. If it looks like you need more sweet stuff, add a bit more of the two syrups. It shouldn't be soggy, but all the dry ingredients need to be coated. This amount should fit on three large sheet cake pans. Spray them with nonstick spray and then put the granola on each (or one at a time) and spread evenly. I bake two pans at a time, one on top rack one on bottom. Bake for 12 minutes. Take out and stir around. Put back in oven, switching places. Bake additional 10 minutes. Granola should be golden brown. Remove and let cool on pan for at least 20 minutes. For the third pan, add the dried fruit AFTER first 12 minutes. Just scatter them on top and stir a bit, then bake for 12 minutes (not 10 like the others). I tried putting the fruit in at the beginning and baking it the entire time, but found it made the fruit too dry/hard. I return all the cooled granola to the large bowl (cleaned first) and mix to incorporate the fruit into the whole thing. Now you can put it in airtight containers, probably more than one.

I eat this for most breakfasts, as well as snacks and more snacks. It's good with yogurt too. It sounds like a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment