Monday, July 1, 2013

Character Bio: Callia Hurnel



In my mind, I have a life history laid out for all my characters, yet I don't include everything in my books. I thought it might be fun to give more background on some of my characters, hopefully without spoiling anything for those of you who still haven't read my book. (You really should, you know)

The main character in The Bride is Callia Hurnel. As the story opens, Callia is nineteen years old, living with her parents in one of three villages in the kingdom. I didn't offer a name for her parents, the villages (except one called Jor) or the kingdom. They weren't really important for the story to progress. Well, they do have names. Callia's parents are Tavish and Lucia Hurnel, both in their forties. They have no other children because, like most other parents, they fear the Choosing. They live in Wistry, which is the largest of the three villages. I already mentioned Jor. The third village is Cumro. All three make up the kingdom of Fraysong.

Callia loves flowers and gardening, which is mentioned in the book. Other hobbies include sewing (she made most of her own clothes), cooking, collecting unique rocks which are used by her father in his job as a jeweler, and reading. She can be opinionated and stubborn, yet she is kindhearted. These characteristics are shown throughout the book. She and her best friend Kerya have known each other all their lives, but they didn't become good friends until they were about nine years old. Kerya, who is more shy than Callia, was being teased by some older children on their way home from school one day. Callia stepped in without hesitation, giving the other kids a good tongue-lashing. They've been inseparable ever since.

I've loved creating this character. I tend to write stories with girls as the voice/main character, but not always. I have a book ready for editing that I hope to publish by the end of the year that is told from a guy's point of view. I've eluded to it in an earlier post-- click here to see it. I'm pretty excited about it.

If there is a character you'd like to learn more about, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    ReplyDelete